Rural and Urban Photography: Depicting Lifestyles and Cultures Holland in July 2010

- open for all to see, wherever you may be
markuspetz
Viesti:

Rural and Urban Photography: Depicting Lifestyles and Cultures Holland in July 2010

Viesti Kirjoittaja markuspetz »

Code-X International (The Netherlands) is looking for partners for a youth exchange:

Rural and Urban Photography: Depicting Lifestyles and Cultures

for the 1st of February deadline. The project will be submitted for funding via Youth in Action 1.1.

Project Description

We are looking for dedicated partners that would like to participate in a youth exchange in the Netherlands in the beginning of July. The project would bring together 24 youngsters from six countries and would enable them to experience different kinds of lifestyles and cultures and depict them through the art of photography.

Project background

All over Europe, urbanization and international movements have created an immense number of international urban centers where foreign born residents outnumber natives by far. This has created melting pots of cultures that are visualized not only through different ethnicities in the streets but also through exotic restaurants, new religions, mulit-linguism etc.

In the Netherlands, Amsterdam is perhaps Europe’s best example of such a melting pot, containing some 175 nationalities, the highest rate of any city, and with over half the population having been foreign born. Amsterdam is often the visitor’s first impression of the Netherlands and the immediate impact is a multicultural and liberal place, as it is notoriously famous for all over the world.

But there’s another side to every country, the rural areas that have yet to experience such a vast array of multinationalism, here the conditions are different and thus the lifestyle of the people.

Project activities

This process of urbanization and intercultural interaction, albeit more present in some countries then in others, is something that is happening all over Europe. We want to bring together a group of youngsters from different countries that would spend 7 days in the Netherlands; first we would explore the countryside of Holland and then move on to discover the Dutch capital of Amsterdam. The medium utilized will principally be the art of photography; so as a preparatory step, all the participants will be asked to present their hometowns and the every day life that they enjoy there in a photo session. They would then engage in activities and discussions on the differences between an urban and a rural lifestyle, based on a number of themes such as family, work/study, religion, food and free time activities. We also ask that each group prepare an intercultural evening where they present their country in a fun and creative way as well as providing typical food. Furthermore, we will conduct a number of fieldtrips with the aim to explore the lifestyle themes to provide some photographic opportunities and a profound engagement with the difference between rural and urban societies.

Activity dates

7 days excluding travel during the beginning of July

Partners

Partners in EU countries that are able to send 3 Participants and one leader per sending organization; the participants should be between 18-24 years old and be able to communicate well in the English language. Furthermore, we are aiming to have participants from both rural and urban areas.

Costs involved

We are applying for funding through the European Union Youth in Action Program. You will have to pay for your own travel health insurance and 30% of your travel costs.

Application

To participate, please complete the attached Part III and send a signed document by post before January 12th 2010. We expect to have more interested people than spaces, so those who include their motivation (for example with a letter) are more likely to be selected.

Postal Address

Jens Klinteskog

Postbus 101

4100 AC Culemborg

The Netherlands

Endeavour@code-x.nl
Ask me and maybe I say
tell me and I might listen
feel for me when I can't feel for myself...